Project Name: Upstream Drainage Renovation
Project Sponsor: Village of Edgar
Award Amount: $7,000
- Improve water drainage in the Village of Edgar wellhead protection area.
Project Name: Best Management Practices for Valparaiso
Project Sponsor: Lower Platte South NRD
Award Amount: $46,000
- Offer cost-share programs for best management practices that are known to reduce the amount of nitrate-nitrogen lost to leaching and over application.
Project Name: Community-based Wellhead Protection Planning
Project Sponsor: Nebraska Rural Water Association
Award Amount: $45,250
- Secure three to five rural communities to participate in the community-based planning process in the development of their Wellhead Area Management Plan.
- Communities will complete a resources inventory to determine land uses in the wellhead protection area and identify effective management practices acceptable to property owners.
- Communities will complete or revise a contaminant source inventory with GPS location of each potential point source of contamination.
- Communities will prepare and submit an application for funding to implement the Wellhead Area Management Plan.
Project Name: Source Water Protection and Land Use Planning
Project Sponsor: The Groundwater Foundation
Award Amount: $13,375
- To inform and educate planning and zoning professionals and the local decision makers they serve so they recognize source water protection as a vital part of local land use planning.
- To increase the demand for local land use planning and zoning in Nebraska to protect source water.
- To initiate and facilitate productive working relationships between source water protection advocates and Nebraska’s planning community.
Project Name: From the Ground Down - Pharmaceutical Take-Back Program
Project Sponsor: Two Rivers Public Health Department
Award Amount: $25,000
- Involve the 7 county region (Buffalo, Dawson, Kearney, Phelps, Franklin, Gosper and Harlan Counties) in a program of education and action on protecting source water.
- Form a Water Task Force and identify three specific needs/problems/areas of concern to be addressed by this program.
- Make available to the public, a nitrate water testing system with a goal of testing 150 wells in the two year grant period.
- Sponsor six Take-Back programs for pharmaceuticals.
- Educate public using billboards, public service announcements and other advertising, presentations, educational displays, brochures and reminder literature
Project Name: Protect our Water for Tomorrow
Project Sponsor: Beaver Lake Association
Award Amount: $38,516
- Reduce pollution inputs to Beaver Lake by installing a dam upstream from the lake on a tributary that feeds the lake.
Project Name: Implementing Source Water Protection in a Rural Wellhead Protection Area
Project Sponsor: City of Beatrice
Award Amount: $23,500
- Educate agricultural producers in the wellhead protection area, especially in the areas with a very high nitrate level, on how to effectively use the existing nitrate in the groundwater.
- Educate urban residents on how to effectively conserve water, especially during peak demand times.
- To increase security at the North farm well field by adding security fencing on the south and east sides.
Project Name: Cash for Grass - Replacing Irrigated Blue Grass Lawn with Buffalo Grass
Project Sponsor: Upper Niobrara White Natural Resources District
Award Amount: $6,500
- Implement water conservation via a cost-share program that funds the installation of Legacy Buffalograss in the Alliance community.