Project Name: Implementing Source Water Protection in a Rural Wellhead Protection Area
Project Sponsor: Beatrice Board of Public Works
Award Amount: $13,000
- Purchase GIS/GPS equipment and training to map Beatrice water department infrastructure and to map irrigation wells, ET gauges and soil monitors within the wellhead protection area.
- Conduct agricultural producer education to utilize and remediated existing nitrate in the groundwater within the WHPA.
- Provide cost share for 10 irrigation meters and 15 irrigation scheduling equipment (watermark sensors, soil probes, hand held and data loggers) within the WHPA.
- Provide urban resident education to teach water conservation.
Project Name: Training About Protecting the Source (TAPS)
Project Sponsor: The Groundwater Foundation
Award Amount: $14,147
- Create a DVD manual (up to 75) with general source water protection information, thorough instructions for activities that demonstrate the effects of pollution on drinking water sources, and a video demonstration of each activity.
- Provide at least 1 teacher workshops demonstrating the TAPS activities and other groundwataer education.
- Demonstrate the TAPs activities to students in at least 3 events across the state.
Project Name: Local Leader Education Series
Project Sponsor: The Groundwater Foundation
Award Amount: $9,933
- Target education and information to Nebraska’s community leaders about source water and related information.
- Present on a variety of source water-related topics at meetings, conferences, and other events of statewide membership organizations.
- Provide information on the presentation topics for statewide newsletters and publications.
- Utilizing the GF’s website, social networking presence, and webinars to further educate the targeted groups.
- Utilizing social marketing materials to help reinforce the importance of source water protection in Nebraska communities.
Project Name: Aquifer Conservation & Protection from Contamination in City of Seward WHPA
Project Sponsor: City of Seward Water Department
Award Amount: $5,543
- Work directly with irrigators to conserve and protect aquifer water for City of Seward's drinking water.
- Install two Evapotranspiration (ET) gauging stations with at least six soil moisture gauges.
- Provide education via activities on the City of Seward website, newspaper articles, tours of the water plant.
- Conduct a demonstration day to educate to area producers on the ET and moisture gauges.
Project Name: Source Water Protection Education Campaign
Project Sponsor: Hastings Museum of Natural and Cultural History
Award Amount: $39,025
- Develop and implement new interactive groundwater and drinking water protection educational exhibits.
- Incorporate specific groundwater and source water education activities into 3 or 4 museum events or outreach presentations.
Project Name: Cash for Grass
Project Sponsor: Upper Niobrara White Natural Resources District
Award Amount: $15,200
- Promote water conservation by making buffalograss cost-effective and convenient. Fund 25 sod installations, and three free educational xeriscape workshops to promote water quality and conservation.
Project Name: Village of Allen Source Water Protection Project South Creek Watershed
Project Sponsor: Village of Allen
Award Amount: $41,650
- Update existing Wellhead Protection Plan.
- Develop comprehensive strategy to protect the Village’s drinking water source.
- Identify and decommission abandoned wells.
- Provide a cost-share on deep soil sampling.
- Determine nitrate concentrations through vadose zone soil sampling.
- Sample groundwater nitrate concentrations in the wellhead protection area.
- Educational components include a "Test Your Well" night, educational focus group, community workshop to discuss private well, and septics.
Project Name: Source Water Protection Swan Lake Recreation Area
Project Sponsor: Lower Big Blue Natural Resources District
Award Amount: $10,800
- Improve water quality and quantity by updating and modifying the well and, secure the well equipment at SWAN 5 Recreation Area to ensure the public water supply is safe from tampering and pollutants.
Project Name: Ground Water Protection Program
Project Sponsor: City of Hickman
Award Amount: $7,165
- Purchase Adobe Publisher to make groundwater protection and conservation brochures for mailers and on the city website.
- Purchase four Wellhead Protection Area signs for existing protection area.
- Provide security fencing for the Olive Creek Road Well Field.