NDEE produces a monthly metrics report to measure what the agency has accomplished; to set annual and longer-term goals; and to examine these goals against accomplishments to ensure continuous process improvements.
- The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, South Dakota Dept. of Environment and Natural Resources and NDEE issued a joint public notice announcing virtual public hearings on whether to issue permits to TC Energy’s Keystone XL pipeline project under the Clean Water Act Section 10/404 and 401 authorities. Hearings will be held Sept. 29 in South Dakota, Oct. 1 in Nebraska, and Montana is holding a separate hearing on Sept. 28.
- NDEE and DHHS issued a smoke advisory for parts of western Nebraska because of smoke from numerous large wildfires in the western U.S. These advisories alert citizens when outdoor activities should be avoided to minimize smoke exposure. The agencies are continuing to monitor smoke levels.
- NDEE awarded nearly $2 million in rebates to fund the replacement of 46 diesel school buses across the state from the Volkswagen Environmental Mitigation Trust Fund. This year’s projects are expected to reduce NOx emissions by 6.5 tons.
- NDEE announced the winners of the 2021 “Nebraska: Don’t Waste It!” calendar contest, sponsored by the Litter Recycling and Reuse Program. The winners received an art kit, certificate and congratulatory letter signed by the Governor and NDEE Director.
- The department launched a new interactive map server on its website, which provides the public a visual representation of regulated facilities/entities. Updated features allow for easier searches.
- NDEE created a short video to highlight its use of virtual inspections during the pandemic, which will be presented at the fall ECOS meeting.
- A new online 2021 Waste and Litter grant application process went live in mid-August with guidance on how to use the software. Based on the program’s initial review of the usage, customers are responding favorably.