||Water Well Standards and Contractors’ Licensing Board 6-9-21
||245 Fallbrook Blvd
May be slow to load depending on the number of documents
||September 9, 2021
||June 9, 2022
(See attached file: 6-9-2021 Board Minutes Approved.pdf) (See attached file: Board Agenda 6-9-21.pdf)
WATER WELL STANDARDS & CONTRACTORS’ LICENSING BOARD MEETING
June 9, 2021
Tonny Beck, Chairman, called the meeting to order at 10:03 a.m. with roll call. The meeting was held at Holiday Inn Express-1020 E Douglas St-O’Neill, Nebraska. Copies of the agenda were emailed to board members and other interested parties prior to the meeting. The meeting was advertised in the Public Meeting Calendar on the Nebraska.gov website. The Open Meetings Act was posted at the front entrance of the room.
Item 1. Roll Call
Tonny Beck David Miesbach
Cody Christensen Mike Thompson
Sue Dempsey Lynn Webster
Scott Grosch Brian Whitesel
ABSENT: Sue Lackey
OTHERS: Jason Orton, Dan Egeland, Mark Graf, Tim Sizer, Becky Schuerman, Dennis Schueth, and Pam Miller.
Item 2. Adoption of Agenda
Mr. Whitesel moved that the agenda be adopted. Mr. Miesbach seconded the motion.
Voting yes: Christensen, Miesbach, Thompson, Beck, Dempsey, Whitesel, Grosch, Webster, and Hansen. Voting no: none. Abstain: none. Motion carried.
Item 4. Consideration of Minutes of Board Meeting – April 7, 2021
Mr. Thompson moved that the minutes be adopted. Ms. Dempsey seconded the motion. Voting yes: Christensen, Miesbach, Thompson, Beck, Dempsey, Whitesel, Grosch, Webster, and Hansen. Voting no: none. Abstain: none. Motion carried.
Item 5. Continuing Education Requests
#1-Water Programs Conference, Virtual, NARD was held March 2, 2021; Jennifer Swanson
Requests: 7 hrs.
Recommended: Duplication already approved
#2-UST Remover Refresher, Johnston, IA, R & A Risk Professionals was held May 21, 2021; Brock Flowers.
Requests: 6 hrs.
Mr. Miesbach made the motion to approve CEUs as stated. Voting yes: Christensen, Miesbach, Thompson, Beck, Dempsey, Whitesel, Grosch, Webster, and Hansen. Voting no: none. Abstain: none. Motion carried.
Item 7. Program Report
Mr. Miesbach presented the program report that was included in the Board Packet. It outlined the declaratory orders/pre-notifications, violations, licensure information and testing information.
· Mr. Egeland provided an update on the Park Elementary site.
· Mr. Graf provided an update/presentation on the electronic inspection program and collaboration with DNR.
· Mr. Miesbach resigned from the board. Ms. Dempsey will be the new NDEE representative. New appointment for a DHHS representative is pending.
· Fees for the WWSP will remain the same at this time. Funding is under review.
· Title 178 and 179 are DHHS’s Titles and will remain under DHHS. Starting July 1, 2021 these Titles will be replaced by Title 134, Chapters 1-5 for the Water Well Standards Program and Title 194 for the Drinking Water Program. Review of draft regulations are complete.
· Due to seasonal hires, one additional test date for the NRDs was proposed for applicants who fail the examination. Mr. Whitesel made the motion to allow one additional test date in June for NRD applicants only, who failed the initial exam. Mr. Beck seconded the motion. Voting yes: Christensen, Thompson, Beck, Dempsey, Whitesel, Grosch, Webster, and Hansen. Voting no: none. Abstain: Miesbach. Motion carried.
· Review of tests and study material will be conducted. Revisions will be made to pull UCA language and to add links of additional study material for candidates.
· Mr. Thompson will replace Mr. Miesbach as chair for the CEU subcommittee. Ms. Lackey will replace Mr. Thompson as co-chair.
· Subcommittees will be formed for Title 134, Chapters 1 and 3.
o Volunteers for Title 134 Chapter 1 subcommittee: Lynn Webster, Mike Thompson, Cody Christiansen, Dave Miesbach, Pam Miller.
o Volunteers for Title 134 Chapter 3 subcommittee: Brian Whitesel, Cody Christensen, Scott Grouch, Dan Egeland, Dave Miesbach, Becky Schuerman.
Item 8. Legislative Report
July 1, 2021 transfer of DDHS water programs to NDEE will take place with the passage of LB 148.
Item 9. Agency Reports
UNL – Conservation & Survey-Provided by Ms. Lackey
· Interviews were completed June 4th for prospective new hires on 2 open positions.
o Geoprobe coring ended in April due to planting.
o Rotary test holes began May 3rd. The majority of the work through June 20th is for NRD projects. One observation well was installed for the MNNRD SINREC project in order to provide interested drilling contractors subsurface detail for the NRD Bid process for the irrigation well to tie into the small pivot.
o Additional State Map coring, research project test holes and wells, and NRD test holes are presently slated through September.
· ENWRA grant proposal is being written for WSF and will focus on refining recharge potential and water level program across eastern Nebraska. The plan is to have multiple focus areas where more detailed work will be completed. This would involve all 6 NRDs, CSD, and the USGS.
· Korus & Gilmore received tenure.
Department of Natural Resources – Mike Thompson
· Groundwater well registration reports were reviewed.
· Public water supply access for contractors was discussed.
Department of Environment and Energy– Dave Miesbach
· Working on regulations.
· The Clearing house is up and running. Issues with the IP address and sign in problems have been encountered. Work continues to correct these glitches.
DHHS – Division of Public Health – Sue Dempsey
· Update on grant funding to expand manganese project.
· EPA to sample Tribal systems for Pfas.
· Grant funding to sample for lead for all daycares-schools-sampling is ongoing
· 2 open positions have been filled.
· Drinking water regulation chapters have been reorganized.
· NDEE now has a Drone program that can be utilized by any program in the agency. A second drone will be purchased in the future.
Natural Resources Districts – Lynn Webster
· NRD’s are having a very busy year.
· Chemigation has started
· Managers meeting will discuss well location.
Item 10. Public Comment
Jason Orton with the NGWA shared that the Nebraska Well Drillers Conference in Kearney will be held live in February 2022.
Dennis Schueth with the Upper Elkhorn NRD welcomed the board. He shared that individuals are wanting to develop new irrigated acres in the District. A decision to allow additional expansion of acres, will be made soon. The District is coming off an all time high with static water levels. Static water levels have already starting to drop from last year.
Break 11:44 to 11:55 am
Item 11. Closed Session
Mr. Miesbach moved, seconded by Mr. Whitesel, to go into closed session at 11:56 a.m. for the purpose of review and discussion of current licensees, and other confidential information about these individuals, and for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of the individuals, Voting yes: Christensen, Miesbach, Thompson, Beck, Dempsey, Whitesel, Grosch, Webster, and Hansen. Voting no: none. Abstain: none. Motion carried.
Board came out of closed session at 1:01 p.m.
Mr. Miesbach made the motion to grant a hardship of CEUs to Dennis Jameson to reinstate his license. Motion seconded by Mr. Christensen. Voting yes: Christensen, Thompson, Beck, Dempsey, Whitesel, Grosch, Webster, and Hansen. Voting no: none. Abstain: Miesbach. Motion carried.
Mr. Miesbach made the motion to revoke license #39205 for failure to comply to probation and construction standards. Motion seconded by Mr. Hansen. Voting yes: Thompson, Beck, Dempsey, Whitesel, Grosch, Webster, and Hansen. Voting no: none. Abstain: Miesbach, and Christensen. Motion carried.
Mr. Miesbach made the motion to fine Christensen Excavating $1000 per event for illegal decommissioning of water wells without a license. Motion seconded by Mr. Christensen. Voting yes: Christensen, Thompson, Beck, Dempsey, Whitesel, Grosch, Webster, and Hansen. Voting no: none. Abstain: Miesbach. Motion carried.
Item 11. Adjourn
Mr. Christiansen made the motion to adjourn the meeting at 1:07 pm. Mr. Miesbach seconded
Mike Thompson, Board Secretary Date