X-Ray Equipment Disposal
This guidance document is advisory in nature but is binding on an agency until amended by such agency. A guidance document does not include internal procedural documents that only affect the internal operations of the agency and does not impose additional requirements or penalties on regulated parties or include confidential information or rules and regulations made in accordance with the Administrative Procedure Act. If you believe that this guidance document imposes additional requirements or penalties on regulated parties, you may request a review of the document.

Form #:  00-016
Guidance Documents
Revised: 12/12/16

There are several components of an x-ray machine that require special disposal considerations. Barring the ability to recycle or exchange/return the equipment to the manufacturer, the following items must be addressed prior to disposal:
  • X-ray tube oil may contain polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) and a determination should be made prior to disposal. Disposal of the tubes will be dependent on the results of the determination.
  • Housings are generally made of lead. A hazardous waste determination prior to disposal must be performed if recycling is not an option through a scrap metal dealer.
  • Transformers are found in some machines. Older machines are more likely to contain PCB dielectric oil. A determination for PCBs should be made prior to disposal.
The State of Nebraska does not have an agency that specifically addresses regulatory requirements regarding PCBs.

The Federal Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) help line number regarding the use of PCBs is (202) 566-0500.

EPA Region VII PCB Coordinator’s telephone number is (913) 551- 7504.

  • NDEQ Waste Management Section - (402) 471-4210
  • NDEQ Toll Free Number - (877) 253-2603
  • NDEQ Hazardous Waste Compliance Assistant - (402) 471-8308
  • Email questions to: NDEQ.moreinfo@nebraska.gov
NDEQ Publications:

Produced by: Nebraska Department of Environmental Quality, P.O. Box 98922, Lincoln, NE 68509-8922; phone (402) 471-2186. To view this, and other information related to our agency, visit our web site at http://deq.ne.gov.