|Q. What is a liquid waste?
A. Liquid waste is any waste that contains free liquids, which will readily separate from the solid waste under ambient temperature and pressure (Paint Filter Test Method 9095).
Q. What are the restrictions for disposing of liquid wastes at a landfill?
A. Bulk or non-containerized liquids cannot be disposed in a solid waste landfill. This means any waste or special waste that contains free liquids is banned from permitted landfills unless:
Q. How can liquid waste be managed for disposal?
- The waste is household waste (not septic waste); or
- The waste is leachate or gas condensate derived from the solid waste disposal area, and the solid waste disposal area is designed with a composite liner and leachate collection system.
A. Liquid waste may be disposed in a municipal solid waste landfill by the following methods:
Liquids or wet wastes that fail the Paint Filter Test may be mixed with soil or other dry wastes prior to disposal at the solid waste landfill.
- The liquid waste is in a small container (similar in size to that normally found in a household);
- The liquid waste is in a container designed to hold liquids for use or personal consumption rather than bulk storage; or
- The liquid waste is a household waste (not septic waste).
See also, Guidance Document “Disposal of Bulk-Quantities of Liquids in Household-Sized Containers” on the NDEE Home Page.
Note: Any liquid waste, containerized or bulk, that is also a special waste, must be pre-approved by the Department of Environment and Energy before disposal. The solid waste landfill manager may set regulations addressing liquid wastes that are more stringent than State or Federal regulations.
- NDEE Waste Management Section - (402) 471-4210
- NDEE Toll Free Number - (877) 253-2603
- NDEE Hazardous Waste Compliance Assistant - (402) 471-8308
- Email questions to: NDEE.firstname.lastname@example.org
Titles are available on the NDEE Home Page under “Laws/Regs & EQC”, “Rules & Regulations”
Produced by: Nebraska Department of Environment and Energy, P.O. Box 98922, Lincoln, NE 68509-8922; phone (402) 471-2186. To view this, and other information related to our agency, visit our web site at http://dee.ne.gov.