The Nebraska Department of Environment and Energy (NDEE) announces that funding is available to Nebraska farmers to replace eligible agricultural irrigation pump diesel engines with all-electric equipment. The diesel engine may be replaced with a new electric motor or by connecting an existing submersible pump directly to the electric grid. NDEE will reimburse 60% of the cost of the new electric motor, installation, and/or required electrical infrastructure (including electric service line extension) up to a maximum rebate of $20,000.
The diesel engine owner is responsible for the remainder of the project costs (mandatory cost-share). Replacement incentives offered by your electric service provider may be used to pay a portion of the mandatory cost-share. No other federal grant funds may be used to cover any portion of the mandatory cost-share. Expenses incurred before you have signed a project agreement with NDEE will not be reimbursed.
In order to ensure emissions reductions are achieved through this program, the diesel engine being replaced must be permanently disabled within 90 days of replacement. Funding for this year’s program is made possible by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s State Clean Diesel Grant program.
NDEE anticipates awarding rebates for eighteen (18) irrigation pump engine replacements. Individual applicants may submit one application for a rebate for one engine. The number of irrigation pump engine rebates will be determined by NDEE after evaluating all applications
If you have questions about the program, please review the FAQ Clean Diesel Rebate 2022 document (above). If you have additional questions or comments, please send them by email to NDEE.AirQuality@Nebraska.gov. Please continue to refer to this page as it will be updated as questions are received.
Application deadline is 5:00 p.m., December 15, 2022
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
- Any Nebraska farming operation that owns diesel engines used to power agricultural irrigation pumps.
- The applicant must have owned the engine to be replaced for at least two years prior to submission of the application.
- The applicant (or your organization) must be in compliance with all Nebraska environmental laws and with the Department’s regulations and permits at all Nebraska locations.
- There are no engine model year or horsepower requirements for eligibility.
- The diesel engine must be in operating condition and have operated at least 250 hours each year over the past two years. A pre-replacement inspection may be made to verify the engine condition.
- The diesel engine must have a legible serial number stamped into the block or listed on an engine data tag affixed to the engine.
- The diesel engine must have a remaining service life of at least three years in the owner’s estimation.
- Irrigation engines must be replaced by an electric motor or by connecting an existing submersible pump to the electric grid.
- The replacement motor must perform the same function in the same location as the original engine.
- The new motor cannot be used to expand the applicant’s current inventory but must replace a diesel engine that is currently operational and in use. The replaced engine must be disabled (scrapped) within 90 days of replacement.
- You must submit documentation of ownership and at least 250 engine operating hours each year for the two previous years.
- One set of quotes for the replacement motor and/or electric equipment, installation, and service line extension must be submitted with the application.
- If selected for an award, the rebate recipient must maintain ownership of the new motor and/or electric equipment for at least five years from the date of purchase and continue to operate it in Nebraska. If the new motor and/or electric equipment is sold before the end of the five-year period, moved out of state, or used for purposes other than specified under this program, the rebate recipient must notify NDEE and may be required to return up to the full amount of the rebate to NDEE. The amount required to be returned is at the discretion of NDEE and will be determined on a case-by-case basis.
- Installation must be performed by a licensed electrical contractor.
- Recipients may be required to file annual reports of operating hours for the duration of the agreement.
APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCESS
For the application and instructions, please see the link at the top of the page. Only one application per applicant will be accepted, and a maximum of one rebate for one engine is allowed per application.
Applications will be accepted only if complete and received
in the NDEE Lincoln office
on or before
5:00 p.m., December 15, 2022.
Applications will be evaluated on the basis of the cost-effectiveness of the emissions reduction (determined from the annual hours of operation, fuel use, and estimated remaining years of service of the replaced engine).
By August 31, 2023, the selectee must:
- Accept delivery of the new equipment and have it installed and operational;
- Scrap the old engine in accordance with the program requirements; and
- Submit the Request for Reimbursement Form, Certificate of Engine/Chassis Destruction Form, MBE-WBE form, and all required supporting documentation once the new equipment has been purchased and installed.
Mail or e-mail application to:
Nebraska Clean Diesel Rebate Program
Nebraska Department of Environment and Energy
P.O. Box 98922
Lincoln NE 68509-8922
Only signed and dated original applications will be accepted. You will receive an e-mail confirming NDEE’s receipt of your application.
The application deadline is 5:00 p.m., December 15, 2022.
Applications received or incomplete after 5:00 p.m. on that date will not be eligible.
NDEE is not responsible for any applications that are delayed or lost in the mail. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that their application was received by the department by the deadline.
Questions? Email us at NDEE.AirQuality@nebraska.gov
Note: Effective Oct. 1, 2009, any individual submitting any application or form that would derive public benefit from the state must also fill out a United States Citizenship Attestation form. This applies to individuals submitting the forms on their own behalf. If applicable, please fill out the United States Citizenship Attestation form below and submit it with the relevant applications and forms.
United States Citizenship Attestation Form