The Nebraska Department of Environmental Quality (NDEQ) announces that funding is available to Nebraska farmers to replace eligible agricultural irrigation pump diesel engines with electric motors. NDEQ will reimburse 60% of the cost of the new electric motor, installation, and required electrical infrastructure (including electric service line extension) up to a maximum rebate of $16,200. In order to ensure emissions reductions are achieved through this program, the diesel engine being replaced must be permanently disabled within 90 days of replacement. Funding for this year’s program is made possible by the Environmental Protection Agency’s State Clean Diesel Grant program.
The pump engine owner is responsible for the remainder of the project costs (mandatory cost-share). Replacement incentives offered by your electric service provider may be used to pay a portion of the mandatory cost-share. No other federal grant funds may be used to cover any portion of the mandatory cost-share.
NDEQ anticipates awarding rebates for five irrigation pump engine replacements. Individual applicants may submit one application for a rebate for one engine. The number of irrigation pump engine rebates will be determined by NDEQ after evaluating applications in all three project categories.
If you have questions about the program, please review the FAQ Clean Diesel Rebate 2017.pdf (above). If you have additional questions or comments, please send them by email to NDEQ.AirQuality@Nebraska.gov. Please continue to refer to this page as it will be updated as questions are received.
Application deadline is 5:00 p.m., December 15, 2017
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
- Any Nebraska farming operation that owns diesel engines used to power agricultural irrigation pumps.
- Eligible engines have engine horsepower and model year within the ranges specified in the table below:
Current Diesel Engine Horsepower
Current Engine Model Year
2005 and Newer
1995 and Newer
1985 and Newer
- The diesel engine must be in operating condition and have historical operations of at least 500 hours annually. A pre-replacement inspection may be made to verify the engine condition.
- The diesel engine must have a legible serial number stamped into the block or listed on an engine data tag affixed to the engine.
- Applicants must certify on the rebate application that their current engine is not scheduled for replacement before September, 2020.
- Pump engines must be replaced by an electric motor.
- The replacement motor must perform the same function in the same location as the original engine.
- If the horsepower of the new motor exceeds the horsepower of the old engine by more than 25%, prior approval by NDEQ and EPA Region 7 must be obtained before purchasing the new motor.
- The new motor cannot be used to expand the applicant’s current inventory but must replace an engine that is currently operational and in use. The replaced engine must be disabled (scrapped) within 90 days of replacement.
- Three bids for the replacement motor and installation must be submitted with the application. Applicants are expected to select the lowest bid or provide cost-effectiveness justification for choosing a different bid.
- If selected for an award, the rebate recipient must maintain ownership of the new motor for at least five years from the date of purchase and continue to operate it in Nebraska. If the new motor is sold before the end of the five-year period, moved out of state, or used for purposes other than specified under this program, the rebate recipient must notify NDEQ and may be required to return up to the full amount of the rebate to NDEQ. The amount required to be returned is at the discretion of NDEQ and will be determined on a case-by-case basis.
- Installation must be performed by a licensed contractor.
- Recipients will be required to file annual reports of operating hours for the duration of the agreement.
APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCESS
For the application and instructions, please see the link above. The application deadline is 5:00 p.m., December 15, 2017. Only one application per applicant will be accepted, and a maximum of two truck rebates are allowed per application.
Applications will be accepted if complete and received in the NDEQ Lincoln office on or before 5:00 p.m., December 15, 2017.
Applications will be evaluated on the basis of the public health benefit of the vehicle replacement and the cost-effectiveness of the emissions reduction (determined from the annual hours of operation, fuel use, and estimated remaining years of service of the replaced vehicle). Preference will also be given to projects in the following EPA-designated priority counties: Buffalo, Dodge, Douglas, Gage, Jefferson, Keith, Lancaster, Lincoln, Platte, and Scotts Bluff.
REIMBURSEMENT TIMELINE: By August 30, 2018, the selectee must:
- Accept delivery of the new motor and have it installed and operational;
- Scrap the old engine in accordance with the program requirements*; and
- Submit the Request for Reimbursement Form, the Final Report Form, Certificate of Destruction, and all required supporting documentation once the new motor has been purchased and installed.
Mail, e-mail, or hand-deliver applications to:
Nebraska Clean Diesel Rebate Program
Nebraska Department of Environmental Quality
1200 N Street, Suite 400
Lincoln NE 68509-8922
Only signed and dated original applications will be accepted. You will receive an e-mail confirming NDEQ’s receipt of your application.
The application deadline is 5:00 p.m., December 15, 2017. Applications received after 5:00 p.m., December 15, 2017 will not be eligible. Applications that remain incomplete after December 15, 2017 will also not be eligible.
NDEQ is not responsible for any applications that are delayed or lost in the mail. It is the applicant’s responsibility
to ensure that their application was received by the department by the deadline.
Questions? Email us at NDEQ.AirQuality@nebraska.gov
Note: Effective Oct. 1, 2009, any individual submitting any application or form that would derive public benefit from the state must also fill out a United States Citizenship Attestation form. This applies to individuals submitting the forms on their own behalf. If applicable, please fill out the United States Citizenship Attestation form below and submit it with the relevant applications and forms.
United States Citizenship Attestation Form