Application Period Reopened; New Deadline February 21, 2020
The Nebraska Department of Environment and Energy (NDEE) announces that funding is available to Nebraska farmers to replace eligible agricultural irrigation pump diesel engines with all-electric equipment. The diesel engine may be replaced with a new electric motor or by connecting an existing submersible pump directly to the electric grid. NDEE will reimburse 60% of the cost of the new electric motor, installation, and/or required electrical infrastructure (including electric service line extension) up to a maximum rebate of $20,000. In order to ensure emissions reductions are achieved through this program, the diesel engine being replaced must be permanently disabled within 90 days of replacement. Funding for this year’s program is made possible by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s State Clean Diesel Grant program.
The diesel engine owner is responsible for the remainder of the project costs (mandatory cost-share). Replacement incentives offered by your electric service provider may be used to pay a portion of the mandatory cost-share. No other federal grant funds may be used to cover any portion of the mandatory cost-share.
NDEE anticipates awarding rebates for seventeen (17) irrigation pump engine replacements. Individual applicants may submit one application for a rebate for one engine. The number of irrigation pump engine rebates will be determined by NDEE after evaluating applications in all project categories.
If you have questions about the program, please review the FAQ Clean Diesel Rebate 2019.pdf (above). If you have additional questions or comments, please send them by email to NDEQ.AirQuality@Nebraska.gov. Please continue to refer to this page as it will be updated as questions are received.
Extended application deadline is 5:00 p.m., February 21, 2020
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
- Any Nebraska farming operation that owns diesel engines used to power agricultural irrigation pumps.
- Eligible engines have engine horsepower and model year within the ranges specified in the table below:
Current Diesel Engine Horsepower
Current Engine Model Year and Emissions Tier
2006 and Newer, Unregulated – Tier 2
1996 and Newer, Tier 0 – Tier 3
1986 and Newer, Tier 0 – Tier 3
- The diesel engine must be in operating condition and have operated an average of at least 250 hours annually over the past three years. A pre-replacement inspection may be made to verify the engine condition.
- The diesel engine must have a legible serial number stamped into the block or listed on an engine data tag affixed to the engine.
- Pump engines must be replaced by an electric motor or by connecting an existing submersible pump to the electric grid.
- The replacement motor must perform the same function in the same location as the original engine.
APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCESS
- The new motor cannot be used to expand the applicant’s current inventory but must replace an engine that is currently operational and in use. The replaced engine must be disabled (scrapped) within 90 days of replacement.
- One set of quotes for the replacement motor and/or electric equipment, installation, and service line extension must be submitted with the application.
- If selected for an award, the rebate recipient must maintain ownership of the new motor and/or electric equipment for at least five years from the date of purchase and continue to operate it in Nebraska. If the new motor and/or electric equipment is sold before the end of the five-year period, moved out of state, or used for purposes other than specified under this program, the rebate recipient must notify NDEE and may be required to return up to the full amount of the rebate to NDEE. The amount required to be returned is at the discretion of NDEE and will be determined on a case-by-case basis.
- Installation must be performed by a licensed electrical contractor.
- Recipients will be required to file annual reports of operating hours for the duration of the agreement.
For the application and instructions, please see the link at the top of the page. The application deadline is 5:00 p.m., February 21, 2020. Only one application per applicant will be accepted, and a maximum of one rebate for one engine is allowed per application.
Applications will be accepted only if complete and received in the NDEQ Lincoln office on or before 5:00 p.m., February 21,, 2020.
Applications will be evaluated on the basis of the cost-effectiveness of the emissions reduction (determined from the annual hours of operation, fuel use, and estimated remaining years of service of the replaced engine). Operators in all counties are eligible to apply, but Ppreference will be given to projects in the following EPA-designated priority counties: Buffalo, Dodge, Douglas, Gage, Jefferson, Keith, Lancaster, Lincoln, Platte, and Scotts Bluff.
REIMBURSEMENT TIMELINE: By August 31, 2020, the selectee must:
- Accept delivery of the new equipment and have it installed and operational;
- Scrap the old engine in accordance with the program requirements*; and
- Submit the Request for Reimbursement Form, the Final Report Form, Certificate of Destruction, MBE-WBE form, and all required supporting documentation once the new equipment has been purchased and installed.
Mail or e-mail application to:
Nebraska Clean Diesel Rebate Program
Nebraska Department of Environment and Energy
P.O. Box 98922
Lincoln NE 68509-8922
Only signed and dated original applications will be accepted. You will receive an e-mail confirming NDEE’s receipt of your application.
The application deadline is 5:00 p.m., February 21, 2020. Applications received or incomplete after 5:00 p.m., February 21, 2020 will not be eligible.
NDEE is not responsible for any applications that are delayed or lost in the mail. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that their application was received by the department by the deadline.
Questions? Email us at NDEQ.AirQuality@nebraska.gov
Note: Effective Oct. 1, 2009, any individual submitting any application or form that would derive public benefit from the state must also fill out a United States Citizenship Attestation form. This applies to individuals submitting the forms on their own behalf. If applicable, please fill out the United States Citizenship Attestation form below and submit it with the relevant applications and forms.
United States Citizenship Attestation Form