The Nebraska Department of Environment and Energy (NDEE) announces that funding is available to replace older diesel refuse trucks and medium to heavy-duty local diesel freight, delivery, and maintenance trucks. The newer, cleaner replacement trucks must be powered by 2016 or newer model year engines fueled by Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) and certified to meet California Air Resources Board Optional Low-NOx Standards; or fueled by diesel and certified to meet EPA or CARB emission standards.
NDEE will reimburse:
An applicant may apply for rebates for up to two trucks. NDEE anticipates awarding rebates for replacement of five (5) refuse trucks and seven (7) local freight, delivery, or maintenance trucks. The number of truck rebates will be determined by NDEE after evaluating applications for all Nebraska Clean Diesel projects. This funding is made possible by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s State Clean Diesel Grant program.
- 35% of the base cost of each new CNG-fueled truck up to a maximum rebate of $120,000 per truck.
- 25% of the base cost of each new diesel truck up to a maximum rebate of $70,000 per truck.
If you have questions about the program, please review the FAQ Clean Diesel Rebate 2019.pdf (above). If you have additional questions or comments, please send them by email to NDEQ.AirQuality@Nebraska.gov. Please continue to refer to this page as it will be updated as questions are received.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
VEHICLES ELIGIBLE FOR REPLACEMENT
- Public entities operating diesel refuse trucks or diesel trucks used in local delivery, construction, or maintenance operations in Nebraska communities.
- Private owners of diesel refuse trucks or diesel trucks used in local delivery, construction, or maintenance operations in Nebraska communities.
ELIGIBLE REPLACEMENT TRUCKS
- Operational Class 7 or Class 8 diesel-powered refuse trucks with a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001 lbs or greater and a 1996-2009 engine model year (or 1996 and newer if being replaced by a Low NOx CNG truck).
- Operational medium or heavy-duty diesel trucks (gross vehicle weight rating of 10,001 lbs or greater; Class 3 and higher) that are used in local delivery, construction, or maintenance operations and have 1995-2009 engine model year (or 1995 and newer if being replaced by a LowNOx CNG truck).
- Trucks with 2016 or newer model year CNG engines certified to meet CARB’s Optional Low-NOx Standards of 0.1 g/bhp-hr, 0.05 g/bhp-hr, or 0.02 g/bhp-hr NOx.
- Trucks with 2016 or newer model year diesel engines certified to meet EPA or CARB emissions standards.
- The replacement truck must be in the same vehicle weight class and operate in the same manner as the original truck.
REIMBURSEMENT TIMELINE: By August 31, 2020, the selectee must:
- A replacement truck cannot be used to expand the applicant’s current fleet but must replace a truck that is currently operational and in use. Each replaced truck must be disabled (scrapped) within 90 days of replacement.
- One bid or quote for the replacement truck(s) must be submitted with the application.
- If selected for an award, the rebate recipient must maintain ownership of the new truck(s) for at least five years from the date of purchase and continue to operate it/them in Nebraska. If a new truck is sold before the end of the five-year period, moved out of state, or used for purposes other than what is allowed under this program, the rebate recipient must notify NDEE and may be required to return up to the full amount of the rebate to NDEE. The amount required to be returned is at the discretion of NDEE, and will be determined on a case-by-case basis.
- Recipients will be required to file annual reports of mileage and fuel use for the duration of the agreement.
APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCESS
- Accept delivery of the new truck or trucks;
- Scrap the old truck(s) in accordance with the program requirements; and
- Submit the Request for Reimbursement Form, the Final Report Form, Certificate of Destruction, MBE-WBE form, and all required supporting documentation once the new truck has been purchased and received.
For the application and instructions, please see the link above. The application deadline is 5:00 p.m., January 17, 2020. Only one application per applicant will be accepted, and a maximum of two truck rebates are allowed per application.
Applications will only be accepted if complete and received in the NDEE Lincoln office on or before 5:00 p.m., January 17, 2020.
Applications will be evaluated on the basis of the public health benefit of the vehicle replacement and the cost-effectiveness of the emissions reduction (determined from the annual hours of operation, fuel use, and estimated remaining years of service of the replaced vehicle).
Preference will be given to projects proposing to purchase trucks powered by compressed natural gas. Preference will also be given to projects in the following EPA-designated priority counties: Buffalo, Dodge, Douglas, Gage, Jefferson, Keith, Lancaster, Lincoln, Platte, and Scotts Bluff.
Mail or e-mail applications to:
Nebraska Clean Diesel Rebate Program
Nebraska Department of Environment and Energy
P.O. Box 98922
Lincoln NE 68509-8922
Only signed and dated original applications will be accepted. You will receive an e-mail confirming NDEE’s receipt of your application.
The application deadline is 5:00 p.m., January 17, 2020. Applications received or incomplete after 5:00 p.m January 17, 2020 will not be eligible.
NDEE is not responsible for any applications that are delayed or lost in the mail. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that their application was received by the department by the deadline.
Questions? Email us at NDEQ.AirQuality@nebraska.gov
Note: Effective Oct. 1, 2009, any individual submitting any application or form that would derive public benefit from the state must also fill out a United States Citizenship Attestation form. This applies to individuals submitting the forms on their own behalf. If applicable, please fill out the United States Citizenship Attestation form below and submit it with the relevant applications and forms.
United States Citizenship Attestation Form