The Nebraska Department of Environmental Quality (NDEQ) announces that funding is available to assist Nebraska schools to replace older school buses with new buses powered by an EPA- or CARB-certified 2017 or newer model year engine. New diesel engines must be equipped with a diesel particulate filter (DPF). NDEQ will refund 25% of the base cost of the newer, cleaner bus up to a maximum rebate of $21,000. NDEQ anticipates awarding two rebates. Applicants may apply for a maximum of one rebate. Previous school bus rebate recipients are not eligible to apply for a rebate under this program. All eligible applications will have an equal chance at funding. This funding is made possible by the Environmental Protection Agency’s State Clean Diesel Grant program.
NOTE: Public school buses in Nebraska with engine model years 2009 and older may be eligible for replacement at an equal or higher reimbursement percentage under a future grant program funded by the Volkswagen Environmental Trust.
If you have questions about the program, please review the FAQ School Bus Rebate 2017.pdf (above). If you have additional questions or comments, please send them by email to NDEQ.AirQuality@Nebraska.gov. Please continue to refer to this page as it will be updated as questions are received.
Application deadline is 5:00 p.m., December 15, 2017
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
- Any Nebraska public or private school district or independent school system that offers primary or secondary education is eligible for this funding opportunity. Companies that own buses and have a current agreement with school districts/systems are also eligible to apply if they are either headquartered or have an operational base office in Nebraska.
- Previous Clean Diesel School Bus Rebate recipients are not eligible to apply for this rebate.
ELIGIBLE REPLACEMENT BUSES
- Eligible vehicles are operational class 5 through 8 diesel powered school buses with a gross vehicle weight rating of 16,001lbs or greater and a 1995-2006 engine model year.
- The bus must be currently used to transport students to and from school or school-related activities. Applicants are required to certify that their bus meets these criteria on the application form.
- Applicants must certify on the rebate application that their current bus was not scheduled for replacement before September, 2020.
- School buses with EPA- or CARB-certified 2017 or newer model year engines. Diesel engines must be equipped with a diesel particulate filter (DPF). The replacement school bus may operate using conventional diesel (ULSD) or alternative fuels (e.g. natural gas, propane, etc.) or with battery or hybrid drivetrains.
- The replacement school bus must be in the same weight class and operate in the same manner as the original school bus. If the horsepower of the new bus exceeds the horsepower of the old bus by more than 25%, prior approval by NDEQ and EPA Region 7 must be obtained before purchasing the new bus.
APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCESS
- The new bus cannot be used to expand the applicant’s current fleet; it must replace a bus that is currently operational and in use. The replaced bus must be disabled (scrapped) within 90 days of replacement.
- If selected for an award, the rebate recipient must maintain ownership of the new school bus for at least three years from the date of purchase. If the new bus is sold before the end of the three-year period or used for purposes other than what is specified under this program, the rebate recipient must notify NDEQ and may be required to return up to the full amount of the rebate to NDEQ. The amount required to be returned is at the discretion of NDEQ, and will be determined on a case-by-case basis.
For the application and instructions, please see the link above. The application deadline is 5:00 p.m., December 15, 2017. Only one application for one bus per school district will be accepted. All applications that are determined to be eligible will have an equal chance of being selected. If the number of applications received exceeds the number of available rebates, NDEQ will hold a public drawing on December 18, 2017 at 10:30 am CDT at the NDEQ Office, 1200 N Street, room 424, Lincoln, Nebraska, to determine the rebate recipients from all eligible entrees.
All complete applications will be drawn and placed in the corresponding order. NDEQ will reserve rebate funds for the first ten applicants drawn, while the remaining applicants will be held on the alternate list. If an applicant withdraws or is disqualified, funds will be offered to the next applicant on the alternate list.
Applications will be accepted if complete and received in the NDEQ Lincoln office on or before 5:00 p.m., December 15, 2017.
REIMBURSEMENT TIMELINE: By August 30, 2018, the selectee must:
- Accept delivery of the new bus;
- Scrap the old bus in accordance with the program requirements; and
- Submit the Final Report Form, the Request for Reimbursement Form, Certificate of Destruction, and all required supporting documentation once the new bus has been purchased and received.
Mail, e-mail, or hand-deliver applications to:
Nebraska Clean Diesel Rebate Program
Nebraska Department of Environmental Quality
1200 N Street, Suite 400
Lincoln NE 68509-8922
Only signed and dated original applications will be accepted. You will receive an e-mail confirming NDEQ’s receipt of your application.
The application deadline is 5:00 p.m., December 15, 2017. Applications received after 5:00 p.m., December 15, 2017 will not be eligible. Applications that remain incomplete after December 15, 2017 will also not be eligible.
NDEQ is not responsible for any applications that are delayed or lost in the mail. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that their application was received by the department by the deadline.
Questions? Email us at NDEQ.AirQuality@nebraska.gov
Note: Effective Oct. 1, 2009, any individual submitting any application or form that would derive public benefit from the state must also fill out a United States Citizenship Attestation form. This applies to individuals submitting the forms on their own behalf. If applicable, please fill out the United States Citizenship Attestation form below and submit it with the relevant applications and forms.
United States Citizenship Attestation Form